• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Roofs and vent stacks

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I have a concern that we may have a leak at the vent stack so today I got up on the roof to take a look at it.

I don't know if I have a problem or not. :shrug: Metal roof, placed I'm not sure how many years ago. It doesn't look right to me but I have no reference to say one way or the other. Obviously this isn't the original roof.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Go get a tube of black jack (sp?) at Home Depot or Lowes and a caulking gun if you don't have one. Either vacuum or blow off that area as well as possible and have at it with the black jack. Use a piece of wood to smooth it out and make the repair neat. Don't get any of it on you, that shit it a real PITA to get off.

Glenn

Desert Dweller
VIP
Did you get some on your hootus? :jump:

Go get a tube of black jack (sp?) at Home Depot or Lowes and a caulking gun if you don't have one. Either vacuum or blow off that area as well as possible and have at it with the black jack. Use a piece of wood to smooth it out and make the repair neat. Don't get any of it on you, that shit it a real PITA to get off.

Ralph

VIP
I'd take a new flashing piece, goop the blackjack on the bottom side, and tack 'er down.

I'm not a fan of blackjack for filling big areas like that... that shit breeds complacency. It goes up, works for awhile, then it shrinks or splits and water leaks in again. Think of it as roof caulk. Combined with flashing, good shit. On its own? Small areas only.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Did you get some on your hootus? :jump:
:pirate:

I'd take a new flashing piece, goop the blackjack on the bottom side, and tack 'er down.

I'm not a fan of blackjack for filling big areas like that... that shit breeds complacency. It goes up, works for awhile, then it shrinks or splits and water leaks in again. Think of it as roof caulk. Combined with flashing, good shit. On its own? Small areas only.
We switched to a different product than black jack. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me and everyone still calls it black jack.

That vent stack looks like a typical shingled roof vent stack, which is its own flashing. I've never seen a metal roof like that before. It looks as though it's missing a proper flashing. I'm not sure how you'd flash that. L-metal semi circle, tuck under roofing uphill and go just beyond 180* crescent? Goop black jack in crevice before shoving in L-metal. :shrug:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
You know, finding somebody who had the stuff I needed in stock was a royal PITA. Hardware stores... duh no. Awesome lumber yard? No. Lowes & Homey D nearby? No. Lowes way down the road a bunch of miles? They actually did. Wasted nearly the whole ****ing day looking for it. Hopefully won't still leak and I'm sure it's not up to the superior JUOT standards.

Flange is aluminum shaped to the roof, silicone under it. Screws are metal roofing screws with gaskets. Lots of additional silicon slathered about for good measure. Didn't have black, so silver will have to do.

Ralph

VIP
You know, finding somebody who had the stuff I needed in stock was a royal PITA. Hardware stores... duh no. Awesome lumber yard? No. Lowes & Homey D nearby? No. Lowes way down the road a bunch of miles? They actually did. Wasted nearly the whole ****ing day looking for it. Hopefully won't still leak and I'm sure it's not up to the superior JUOT standards.

Flange is aluminum shaped to the roof, silicone under it. Screws are metal roofing screws with gaskets. Lots of additional silicon slathered about for good measure. Didn't have black, so silver will have to do.

That's exactly what I was talking about, and the same product I posted earlier. :thup2: