• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

gluing diamond plate to painted drywall

Yellowdog

not going with wains coat on my entrance way and stairway...going to buy diamond plate sheets and glue it to the walls...recommendations for adhesive???

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
you're diamond plating your walls?!?!
I was gonna suggest he not do that, but considering the shit he's into a nice water- and impact-proof wall covering might not be a bad idea.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
Scuff sand the diamond plate with some ScotchBrite, and do the same on the wall before you lay down the liquid nails. Use the heavy duty stuff, blue label, low VOC if you can find it, otherwise your place will stink for weeks.

Link: http://liquidnails.com/products/product.jsp?productId=35
I only use the large tubes of teh HD stuff. I tried an experiment, took two scrap 2x4s, and glued the ends of them together effectively making a longer 2x4. Let sit over night. Could not separate them the next day despite using some mechanical assisted forces.

Yellowdog

you're diamond plating your walls?!?!
just in entrance way and on stair way...gtr amps and keyboards lugged up 24 inch wide steps and a 28 inch entrance way is a bitch..this will give that area an "industrial look" and take a beating..its only going to be 3 foot high ..the other 6 foot of wall will be untouched

Yellowdog

plus i like flat paint..i'm going to put gold records and memorabilia up so the fawkers don't lean their greasy heads or sweaty dirty palms on my wall in that area

wank

unknown entity
VIP
urethane...set up quick and sticks like a mother fer......(autoglass urethane)

edit:it's made to adhere to metal

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
I hate doing demo where they use that shit. I replaced 2 storm doors a few years ago and they were both installed and caulked with that shit. Not screw fawking one. :naw:

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
I hate doing demo where they use that shit. I replaced 2 storm doors a few years ago and they were both installed and caulked with that shit. Not screw fawking one.
The material itself always fails, not the bond of the adhesive. You better not use it on anything you don't intend to completely replace if you have to disassemble.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
I didn't use it on the doors, previous installer did. Made for a mess. Bathrooms are the worst, all you want to do is replace the tub and surround and you wind up having to tear it all down to the studs.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
i think i'd put some anchors in the walls and bolt 'em up. a little more of the industrial look, and if you decide to take them down you'll only have small holes to refill and paint over instead of peeling all the adhesive off and tearing up the wallboard.

or...just clear plexi panels over the paint, attached the same way.

Mike The Apeman

i think i'd put some anchors in the walls and bolt 'em up. a little more of the industrial look, and if you decide to take them down you'll only have small holes to refill and paint over instead of peeling all the adhesive off and tearing up the wallboard.
To really get industrial, install the panels with lag bolts into the studs. Of course, that means some edges gear could get caught on, but that ain't your problem. :)